I’m putting together a new grant on Donors Choose for some new titles that I’ve found. When I choose books for student book clubs there are few things that I take into careful consideration.
- How challenging is this title? How many of my readers will be able to access this?
- What it the interest level? Will it appeal to both boys and girls? Will it grab students and make them want to read?
- How does this further my goal of providing a representation of diversity among my literature?
- How will this book connect with other books that I already have? (I’m trying to get away from only genre based book clubs and into more themes)
- Does this book have the potential to leave a reader changed?
- Is this book a unique piece of writing that will appeal to kids today?
Although it’s not necessary that you read all of the books, I do. I find it really hard to join in and help guide conversations or monitor student comprehension if I haven’t. Also, I believe very strongly in student choice in reading so if I’m going to narrow their selection I want to be sure that I know the books they are choosing from are of the highest quality.